9.19.2007

Devil Come Down to Utah...

...looking for a soul to steal. And he found mine.

After years of watching tv only when in hotel rooms, at my parents’ house and on JetBlue flights, we got cable.

This is going to be a definite test of my self-control, because with the likes of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert at my disposal, I stand to lose all motivation to do anything but laugh and laugh and laugh. And laugh.

Not having tv for so long, I’ve definitely turned into one of those, “oh no, I didn’t see that show; you see, I don’t watch tv (AND AM THEREFORE BETTER THAN YOU)” people. Arguably, that could be worse than being a total tv-a-holic, like my former colleague who spoke of nothing but the lives of fictional television characters. I always felt a bit superior to that guy, as if by reading the latest Sophie Kinsella novel in lieu of watching a sit-com, I was somehow smarter than he? I mean, while the Shop-a-holic books make me slightly uncomfortable due to my own former spending habits, I can’t say that they’re actually deep or require critical thinking, so who was I to cast judgment?

And now I dwell among the likes of said former colleague. A tv-owner. A cable-haver.

Still, I think it’s a good idea for me to get news from places other than NPR, the New Yorker and the New York Times. I mean, as BALANCED and NON-BIASED as those sources are, I would probably benefit from hearing the other side of the story occasionally....

No comments: