10.14.2008

Smith Barney? Bunch of Bitches.

It's hard to come up with goals; apparently I'm not a self-starter.

(Reminds me of the classic Chris Farley news anchor skit: "I'm not "hygenic." I don't "smell good." That being second only to the Matt Foley skit - below - in terms of funny.)



But back to my goal-setting dilemma.

In recent years, the only goals I've set have been athletic - running and climbing-related. That's fine, I guess, but what happens with those is that I either achieve them or I don't, and nothing changes about me, about who I am. I've either climbed something or I haven't, and neither result makes me a better (or worse) person (though I always feel like the harder I climb, the better - and more worthy - a person I am, but that's crazy-talk that I'm not going to address).

So now it's time for something real. God knows I have a lot of emotional stuff to work on, and thanks to my darling bloggie friends for their kind words and good ideas on how to get through it.


1. Be nicer, by which I mean, don't be bitchy (even to people who are better looking/more athletic/smarter/more talented than me). Don't do it.

2. Think more. Like, really put some thought into the things I say, do, buy, eat, use. As far as I'm concerned, this is it - one shot, just like Eminem says - so why waste it?

Argh. These are vague and lame. I'm still thinking. In the meantime, and in keeping with our nation's economic concerns, I'll share this important PSA from our friendly fund mangers at the Wu-Tang Clan.

1 comment:

Jen Yu said...

Don't discount your athletic goals and accomplishments. Those things build character, believe it or not. Sure, it's recreation, but there are people who can't even meet their recreational goals let alone life goals. So I'm giving you a pat on the back for your running and climbing, because it does take a level of dedication and discipline that most lack (there are a lot of flaky people in the world).

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but this is my secret to being happy: don't care what others think. Obviously you don't want to be regarded as Jackass of the Century, but I'm talking about not caring how others feel I look, or how they regard my financial situation, status, career, etc. My family - they are all beautiful people (I mean Good Looking). Me - not so much. But you know, the day I decided to not care was the day I felt so free and happy with who I am. I smile all the fucking time because I am the person I want to be and not the person others want me to be (and that was hard for my parents to stomach). So that's the first part, but the second part is harder: knowing what you want.

What do you want in life? I think about that all the time and it has evolved over the years. I used to think I wanted to have a big house in suburbia and blah blah blah. (Boy, am I glad I didn't marry THAT guy.) Now I know, I just want to be healthy, to have peace of mind, to be comfortable, to be safe, to be mentally active and curious. I want creative freedom and outlets to express that. I want a warm puppy to cuddle and a good partner. I want the people I love to be happy and to know that I love them.

I want you to be happy, Katie. There is nothing wrong with what you are thinking right now. I think too many people DON'T ever think of these things. They run through the daily grind and in the end they have little to show. That's sad. That's a wasted life. So think about what makes you happy. Think of the things you enjoy and how you want to grow personally. Think of what matters in life to you. And every morning you wake up, know that there are people who care about you, love you. Know there are pups who rely on you and want to snuggle or go for a run. If it begins with wanting to learn to knit, or play banjo, or roller derby, or build a deck, or speak Danish - that's a start and that is how we grow.

And don't forget there is a standing invite here in Ned for ya. I probably won't be ripping out the guest room carpet for a year because I suck at home improvement projects ;) xxoo